Our school curriculum, both formal and informal, provides rigorous and dynamic challenges, to reflect the schools’ philosophy:
· the importance of trying to find God in all things;
· the development of each individual’s gifts and talents;
· the need for thoroughness and breadth in learning;
· creating independent thinkers and the ability to communicate
· an awareness of the needs of others;
· and a readiness to place one’s talents at the service of others.
At Sacred Heart Central School we recognise that children learn in different ways. We aim to ensure equity of educational opportunities and provide for integration of students with learning difficulties within a regular classroom environment.
Children with disabilities or learning difficulties have the right to acceptance and the right to learn. To cater for these children our Learning Support Teacher and Learning Support Assistants work collaboratively with classroom teachers to:
· implement programs which support the specific needs of students;
· provide small group and one to one assistance that is explicit and
· develop Individual Educational Programs (IEP’s) with input at the
planning stage from parents;
· provide ongoing assessment of these students; and
· communicate progress and concerns as appropriate.
Learning Support enrolments may need to involve consultation with the Catholic Education Office.
At Sacred Heart Central School, we implement the NSW Education and Standards Authority (NESA) syllabuses.
NESA continually updates NSW K–10 syllabuses, incorporating the Australian curriculum. Implementation of the new syllabuses was phased in from 2014 at Sacred Heart.
The NSW syllabuses are written in Stages. These are:
|Early Stage 1||Kindergarten|
|Stage 1||Years 1 and 2|
|Stage 2||Years 3 and 4|
|Stage 3||Years 5 and 6|
We offer a rigorous academic program with an emphasis in K to 6 on developing essential literacy and numeracy skills. We endeavour to provide a diverse learning program to meet the learning needs of all our students. The amount of time dedicated to each learning area meets BOSTES guidelines and is approximately:
|6%||Science and Technology|
|6%||Personal Development/Health and Physical Education|
|6%||Human Society & Its Environment (HSIE)|
||Creative Arts (Music, Art, Dance and Drama)|
*Technology, Literacy and Numeracy are embedded throughout the Curriculum.